Most of our easy DIY costumes start with a simple pillowcase. It's perfect for making almost any costume or dressup outfit for kids. For the Witch costume shown, we used a silver colored pillowcase, but any color will work plus you can make your costume a little more original if you choose a bright color. Just pair with a black shirt and tights to complete the costume. By adding the black stars and sash, it will be a dynamite looking costume for your child. Check the collar store for a Witch hat, as that is where we found ours for only a dollar.
Making pillowcase costumes is not only easy and fun, but very economical also, especially if you have several children. To make the Witch costume, just follow along with our directions below.
- Black felt
- Black fabric for sash
- Tacky white glue
- Wash and iron pillowcase.
- Lay pillowcase flat. From the top, closed part of the pillowcase, cut a small neckhole on the center fold to accomodate your child's neck. Then, from each side seam, starting at the top fold, cut away 1/2 inches, down about 4 inches. This will make the armholes.
- To avoid fraying, you can dab a thin bead of white glue along any cut edges and let dry.
- Remove the bottom binding from the pillowcase, using scissors. Now, cut a "fringe" making 1/2 inch strips along the bottom edge.
- Cut out black felt stars and attach with white lue to the front of the costume. Let dry.
- Make a black sash that is long enough to tie in the front and hang down.
For more fun Pillowcase costumes for dressup or Halloween.