Who doesn't love hearts? Especially for Valentine's Day. We tried to come up with a new, fun and inexpensive craft that you would love to make. Isn't this little felt heart necklace cute? Kids can make this for mom or a friend as a little Valentine gift. Or why not make two and have one for yourself?
Only a few items are required to make this little DIY craft. We chose the color combination of red, pink and orange but you could make up your own combination of colors. The hearts will say Valentine love no matter the color. And really, you could mix blues and purple which would also look awesome.
What you Need:
- Yarn or cord
- Felt scraps
What to Do:
- Cut three pieces of yarn/cord to 36 inch lengths.
- Cut 5 felt hearts about 1 1/4 inches high, in whatever color combo desired.
- Tie the three pieces of yarn together, leaving about a 4 inch tail from the knot.
- Tape or clip the yarn ends to something secure so you can work a braid. Braid the entire length of yarn, leaving about the same size tail at the end, as at the beginning.
- To braid, follow the pattern: right over center strand, left over center strand and keep repeating this sequence. Do not braid too tightly or your necklace will get too short.
- Now fold your central heart in half, horizontally, so that the tip just peeks behind the top of the heart. Carefully cut two 1/8 inch slits (when unfolded openings will be about 1/4 inch or more. Repeat with each heart.
- Starting with the center heart, carefully thread the braid through the heart, as shown in image. Slide to center of braid.
- Repeat process with remaining hearts, sliding into desired place.
- To wear, just tie around neck.
- Happy Valentine's Day fun!
By Sharon Pierce McCullough