Although you can make small felted animals by starting with wool roving, we chose to start with some felt fabric squares to make this an easy project. Girls of any age, including many adult females I know, are attracted to animals of any sort. These felt animals are fun to make and also give to friends.
Whether you choose to make a bunny, dog, monkey, tiger, bird or penguin, the same basic shape will be used to start the project. Make a whole zoo full of little animals. These can be made into puppets also by leaving the bottoms open ... great for younger kids to play with.
What You Will Need to make Felt Animals:
- Colored Felt
- Fabric glue/ Tacky glue
- Sewing machine (or needle & thread)
- Polyfill stuffing (or cloth scraps)
- Permanent marker (or fabric marker)
What to Do:
- Cut two small rectangles for each animal you will be making out of the same color felt. Rectangles should be cut to 2" x 3".
- Place your matching pieces of felt together.
- Using either a sewing machine or needle and thread, stitch up one side, curve around the top and stitch down the other side. Stitching should be about a quarter inch from the edges.
- Cut away the top corners that are excess fabric and then turn inside out so seams are now inside.
- If you will be making a puppet, then you will proceed to step #7.
- If making a little stuffed animal, fill the body with stuffing using either polyfil or fabric scraps. Cut out a circular bottom piece for each animal that is about 1/4" wider, than the opening, all the way around. Stitch closed with needle and thread.
- Cut out ears, noses etc out of contrasting felt color scraps.
- Glue pieces in place and let dry thoroughly. Add eyes, etc using the marker pen.
Copyright 2014 Sharon Pierce McCullough for ZiggityZoom.com