Whenever one of the kid’s birthdays comes around, we are always mulling around party theme ideas. But, truthfully, you don’t need a unified theme if you pull a few cute ideas together. I know, I know … lots of kids want a particular character or theme. That’s sort of the way it goes these days. But you really can plan a more generic party with an overarching theme … for example, just planning around animals, in general.
We used this puppy sandwich as a starting idea and then did a “cats & dogs” party. We love making fun party sandwiches for party food but it’s also fun to serve something like our Puppy party sandwich as a special treat just for lunch.
- 2 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 thin Pickle slices
- Red and Orange Pepper pieces
- Olive slices
- Cucumber slice
- Sandwich filling of choice
- Cut bread slices into a large circle. Fill with desired meat, cheese or even PB & Jelly.
- Set on plate and then place pickle slices slightly beneath the sandwich to make ears. We usually dab the pickles and any veggies used with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Cut a nose from the orange pepper and a collar from the red pepper.
- Place Cucumber slice under one eye, using olive slices for eyes and a small piece of chive for the mouth.
- What a cute puppy !
Sharon Pierce McCullough