It's always fun to find a new craft for the kids to make to help celebrate Chinese New Year. This year, since it is the year of the snake, we have come up with a really cute, fun and easy craft so kids can make mini snakes. The best part is that this is a really inexpensive craft for creating in the classroom or at home and perfect for homeschool.
We started with Q-tips and masking tape, easy materials for the kids to work with. How cute are these little snakes, really? Kids can make several and paint them different colors with different markings.
What you Need:
- Masking tape
What to Do:
- Bend Q-tips into arches or coils. You will be connecting several of these together, so these are individual parts for each snake. Q-tips will retain their shapes once curved.
- Attach sections together with a piece of masking tape. Heads can be curved upwards to resemble a real snake or make a coiled snake.
- Once a snake is formed and all sections attached, tear off 1/2 inch stips of masking tape and start wrapping the entire snake, except for the tail and head.
- Paint snake a solid color and let dry.
- Add markings with a contrasting color of paint or markers.
- To make eyes, dip the tip of a pencil in paint and make a dot for each eye.
- Let snakes dry thorougly before handling.
By Sharon Pierce McCullough