- Starting with the box, cut an opening in the center area large enough for the photo you plan to use. This step should be done by the adult that is overseeing the project.
- Paint the top and sides of the box frame. If you will be using the box bottom, as we suggest, then make sure any part that will be visible is painted also. Let this dry before going to the next step.
- Start gluing the pennies to the topside of the frame, positioning your pennies around the opening first. We just put a drop of glue where we wanted the penny to go and then placed the penny onto the glue, pressing down. Work your way out to the edge of the frame, going only to the edge or slightly over.
- In order to even out the look of the pennies, now glue some random pennies on top of the first layer of pennies. You won't need too many, but cover up any areas that have gaps or that look like they might need another penny.
- Don't go overboard with the pennies, as each one adds a little more weight. Set your frame on an object that fits into the inside of your frame to dry, so that your frame will not warp when drying.
- Use masking tape to position your photo to the inside of the frame. Only use masking tape, as this enables the photo to be removed, without damage, at a later date, if needed.
- If frame will be hung, you can now poke two holes into the upper, center section, using the tip of a pen. Insert wire through the holes, and on the backside and twist together. You can also use a paper clip for a hanger.
- If frame will be used on a desk, cut a rectangular piece of cardboard, about 2 inches wide (and about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the height of your frame) Tape this to the back (center top) to act as a stand.
- Dad will now have a "secret frame" that he can open and hide some $.
- Small sturdy box, such as a jewelry box or greeting card box. If you only have the lid or bottom, this can work also. In lieu of a box, use an existing small, old frame and jazz it up with pennies.
- Copper Pennies
- All purpose glue
- Brown paint, nontoxic poster paint or acrylic
- Scissors or cutter (to be used by adult to cut opening in box)
- Wire or paper clip, if frame will be hung
- Masking tape