- Cut various sized squares and rectangles from chosen colors of sticky-back foam. As you cut one piece, set it on the mat and lay out other pieces, leaving some space between squares/rectangles. One of our mats has earth colors in greens and browns and another has colors in shades of blue and purple. Let the kids help decide which colors they want.
- Remove backings, one at a time, and press in place.
- Make fences, i.e. cages, by cutting strip of cardboard/file folder about a half inch longer than each side of square or rectangle you want to fence in. Make slits halfway to center, about a half inch from each end. Fit fence together, by sliding short end of fencing into a long end, then add the 2 remaining sections.
- For one of your fence sections, make a tall arch, cutting out center, so this can serve as your ZOO entrance. Write ZOO at top of arch, using a permanent marker.
- Vinyl placemat, square or rectangle. We bought our at the Dollar store. Make sure one side is a solid color.
- Sticky-back foam sheets
- Thin cardboard or discarded file folders to make animal fences.