DIY Christmas Trees
We love bright colors to add extra cheerfulness during the holiday season. To help you add some extra happy to your home, we designed this fun and easy Christmas tree holiday craft to brighten any little niche of your home. They turned out so cute and we were surprised when Kristin’s ten year old son even wanted to make one for his room. Actually, he was so excited about the project that he made the clay stars for the trees.
These little DIY trees are perfect for a holiday centerpiece with a few greens from your yard. I’m actually planning to use my three trees on the mantle with greens and a few colorful ornaments.
What You Need:
- Colorful twine or heavy yarn
- Styrofoam cones
- Tiny jingle bells
- Clear glue
- Jewelry wire
- Clay (airdry/ sculpey)
- Wire snips
What to Do:
- Apply a small ribbon of glue around the bottom inch of the cone.
- Wrap the end of the twine/yarn around the bottom of the cone, tying a knot to secure the twine/yarn.
- Start wrapping the twine around the cone, keeping each row next to the previous row. I found that the quickest and easiest way ti wind the twine is to keep spinning the cone while adding the twine/yarn.
- Once you are about a half inch from the top, add another ribbon of glue to remaining cone edge and top. Finish wrapping as you go.
- Using the wire snips, cut 1 inch lengths of wire for each jingle bell.
- Insert a wire piece through the jingle bell loop and then fold in half and twist to secure.
- Poke twisted wires into the styrofoam cone as desired.
- Once all bells are attached, make a small star for the tree topper.
- Break the end off of a toothpick and insert remainder into star, leaving enough to insert into the top of your tree once it is baked or dried.