My family loves dessert and that’s always one of the questions when they appear for dinner. “What’s for dessert?” Truth be told, I could eat dessert breakfast, lunch and dinner … but I do try to eat and serve healthy meals to my family.
Is there anything better than bite size desserts? We think not. While we don’t mind getting our fingers a bit messy from a rich, chocolatey brownie, or other decadent dessert, cake pops are perfect delights as they pop in your mouth and keep your hands clean and hey you don’t even need a plate!!!
These little nuggets of yum are easy to make for a dessert, party or get together. You can use our yummy recipe or start with a standard red velvet cake mix. Then follow the directions for making cake pops.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add applesauce and egg and mix well.
- Blend in vanilla, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and food coloring. Mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add slowly to mixture, stirring well.
- Pour batter into pans that have been sprayed with olive oil spray or similar non-stick baking spray.
- Spread batter to a depth of only ½ or ¾ inch thick.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- For cake pops, see additional instructions separately.
Additional time required to make into cake pops.
How to Make Cake Pops …
You will Need:
- A baked & cooled cake
- Tub of frosting
- lollipop sticks
- cake pop stand / styrofoam
What to Do:
- Crumble the cake into fine crumbs using yiur hands or a food processor.
- Add a small amount of frosting to the crumbs and mix with your hands, until you have the consistency of clay.
- Make balls approximately 1.25″ in diameter. Roll in the palm of your hand.
- Set on a plate or baking sheet and then place in fridge or freezer until chilled.
- Haet frosting in microwave for about 20 seconds, stir and heat for another 10 seconds. Frosting should be runny.
- Dip each lollipop stick into frosting mixture and then insert one into each cake pop. Rechill.
- Next, dip cake pops, one at a time into the frosting mixture, making sure not to knock it off of the lollipop stick.
- Set dipped cake pops upright in pop stand or styrofoam block.
- While frosting is still fluid, add sprinkles or other decorations.
- Chill for faster setting.
Smiles are an inexpensive way to show you care.